Kellye McKinna, Ph.D.
Learning Center Consultant
University of California, Los Angeles, Doctorate Degree, Educational Psychology, 1997
University of California, Los Angeles, Masters Degree, Educational Psychology, 1991
Pacific Lutheran University, Bachelor of Arts, Education, 1982
I have a fundamental belief that we learn throughout our lives and that every experience we have and every person we meet can provide us with an opportunity to learn, if we open our hearts and minds to listen.
- Twenty years in private Educational Therapy practice combining educational and therapeutic approaches for evaluation, remediation, case management, and communication/advocacy on behalf of children, adolescents and adults with learning disabilities or learning problems.
- Committed team player who enthusiastically works in collaboration with all significant people involved student success from parents to teachers, school administrators, and other healthcare providers.
- Creator and director of a unique progressive school, whose mission is to empower students with learning differences to realize their individual potential, foster their innate desire to learn and act with social responsibility.
- Assist teachers in implementing appropriate interventions, teaching techniques, modifications and adaptations to curriculum to meet the educational and psychosocial needs of students with learning challenges.
- As Director of School Affairs for a small private middle school, developed and implemented all aspects of school activity and policy, including creating an Alternative Learning Program for students with learning disabilities.
- Developed an afterschool homework tutorial program to meet the needs of students in the local public schools, supervising a team tutors.
- Serve on Site Council of Malibu High School. Site Council is a decision-making entity consisting of teachers, principals, parents and students designed to help create and support effective school policies, which promote the vision of the school.
- Conducted workshops for parents on topics such as, What is Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Finding the Right School for Your Child and Family, and Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities.
- A Professional Member of the Association of Educational Therapists.
- Hope, optimism, and future-mindedness
- Curiosity and interest in the world
- Zest, enthusiasm, and energy
- Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness