Recipe of the Week – Cauliflower Crust Margarita Pizza
Nutritionist Julia Budniak has brought another awesome simple salad to you this week: Cauliflower Crust Margarita Pizza!
Pizza lover? You can get a gluten and guilt-free pizza that’s primarily made out of a vegetables. Try cauliflower crust margarita pizza! It’s easy to make and delicious. If you’re not into making your own crust, you can buy a ready cauliflower crust, bake it, and add toppings of your choice!
PREP TIME: 15 min
COOK TIME: 25 min
- 1 (2-pound) head cauliflower, stem removed and florets into pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces of mini mozzarella balls or shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil, for topping
- To a food processor, add the florets (you may need to do this in batches) and pulse until the cauliflower resembles “rice.” Add the cauliflower rice to a medium saucepan along with the water. Set over medium low heat and cook for 10 minutes until cauliflower is very soft and tender. Transfer to the center of a few sheets of cheesecloth or a towel. Allow to cool for a bit. (You can also put it in the freezer for 5 minutes.)
- Squeeze the cauliflower rigorously until it no longer leeches water. More water will come out than you think! Place it in the empty saucepan you used or a bowl. Mix in the egg and salt.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread the cauliflower mixture into a thin circular layer, mimicking the shape of a pizza crust. Transfer to the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Turn the heat down to 300 degrees F. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce atop the crust and a few pieces of mozzarella. Transfer to the oven until the sauce is warm and cheese has melted, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and a few pinches of red pepper flakes.
Enjoy your Cauliflower Crust Margarita Pizza! For more information on Sports Academy’s Nutritionist Julia Budniak, or if you have a request for a meal you would like to see, please visit our Nutrition page. Check in next Wednesday for another #healthyhumpday meal.